Skip to content
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE STEM
- The stem is the ascending portion of the plumule.
- It is positively phototrophic.
- It has terminal bud which causes elongation of the stem.
- The stem is divided into nodes and internodes.
- When young, the stem is soft and green and therefore contributes towards photosynthesis.
- Stem bears leaves at the nodes.
- Stem may be branched or unbranched.
- Hairs when present are multicellular.
- A mature stem or its branches bear flowers.
- Stems often undergo modification to perform various other functions such as support, defence, assimilation etc.